As a child, visiting the dentist can be scary. Most kids hate going to dentist’s office, but they need to do so quite regularly in order to ensure proper health.
To help quell any unwanted occurrences, here are a few tips that you can take with you:
- Speak and listen to your child. Communication is very important as going to the dentist may be stressful for a child; it might seem like an obvious statement, but speaking with and listening to your children can be very effective. An important footnote: During the conversation, try to speak in a calm and soothing voice, this is a great way to ease a child’s anxiety.
- Without a doubt, the most important step is to go over what the visit will be like. After all, the child is the one going to see the dentist. Ensure that your child is mentally prepared for the experience.
- Try to speak highly of the dentist, as this will encourage your child to communicate if they are having any dental issues or pains.
- If your child is feeling anxious or afraid, try to understand their concerns. Listen to them and encourage them to be natural an open with the dentist.
- Bring something to support your child. Does your child have a favorite toy or stuffed animal? If so, feel free to bring it along for a bit moral and psychological support. When a child has a familiar object at hand, they are able to feel more at ease, even in an unfamiliar environment such as the dentist’s office.
- Give your child a prize! As a form of encouragement and acknowledgment for the bravery of your child, rewarding them can make your child feel much better about the whole experience. They will now be able to associate the dentist’s office with fun, positivity and perhaps a little treat. It will definitely reduce their fear of the dentist and might even make them want to come back. Sometimes, dentists even sell treats in their office, but you can always feel free to bring your own.
The dentist’s office can be an enjoyable experience for both you and your child, and if you follow these steps you’re almost sure to make it a great experience!