Smiles have a profound way of impacting how we interact with one another; smiles can increase likability, change the way others perceive you, and revolutionize the way you view yourself. Among many cosmetic enhancements out there, dental cosmetics help set a standard for beauty and ideals and create an invariable way that people can correct teeth for both aesthetics and health. More people have begun to change their smiles through cosmetic treatments that improve oral health, all while enhancing the feel of your smile. Listed below are the most popular cosmetic dental treatments that dentists can offer and how you can learn more about these treatments.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth whitening products are what most people consider to be a cosmetic treatment because of how radically it changes the way teeth appear. Regular, at-home treatments typically contain between 3% and 20% hydrogen peroxide for whitening teeth. However, for extrinsic stains that won’t go away with everyday care routines, dentists can provide professional teeth whitening treatments between 15% and 40% hydrogen peroxide for an enormous improvement.
- Cosmetic Veneers – Veneers act as covers for the teeth, are typically made out of porcelain, and improve your teeth’ contours and color. They’re a permanent fixture for traditional veneers and require a small amount of enamel to be removed before being placed on with composite bonding material. These veneers are also individually designed to meet each patient’s need, meaning they’ll match the appropriate shape of your teeth for a natural appearance.
- Dental Bonding – Bonding works similar to veneers, except it uses bonding material to repair chips and cracks in the teeth. This tooth-colored bonding material fills the tooth areas that need enhancements and can correct discolored, chipped, and damaged teeth. The material is matched according to your tooth’s color, and your dentist will intricately mold the material to match the tooth’s overall shape.
- Cosmetic Crowns – Crowns act as a cap for the tooth, covering any damaged, degraded tooth to fill any space and reform the mouth back to symmetrical, pristine health. These crowns are typically used for back molars and can withstand biting pressure to maintain the mouth’s structure. These crowns can be made out of porcelain or acrylic and help treat poorly shaped teeth, severely cracked, and badly decayed.
- Invisalign – Invisalign transformed orthodontics by making braces, not just for kids; more adults have begun seeking clear aligners to correct minor crookedness in their smiles. Invisalign gives people a discreet way to straighten their smiles over time. With Invisalign, the process of straightening teeth occurs over a few years with multiple treatments and works best with minute cases of overbites, underbites, crossbites, and small teeth. These clear aligners can also for adolescents who are still developing their teeth.
For more options on improving the look of your smile, consult your dentist for more information. If you live in Woodbridge, VA, and wish to see a dentist, contact Dr. April J. Toyer, DDS, at Lifetime Dental Care to schedule an appointment today.